Saturday, May 21, 2011

Without Reservations. (21/05/2011)

“God respects you when you work,
but he loves you when you dance.”
- Sufi Saying

Of late I have been reading and 'googling' about  the street dancing (ballroom) scene in other cities. It is quite fascinating to see the street and impromptu dance scene at Buenos Aires and  other American cities. In Mumbai however such events are non-existent and the dancing community finds themselves all dressed up but nowhere to go. This is true as this city offers very limited options for ballroom dancing.


I have been working on an idea quite excitedly (as always) which has something to do with the subject of discussion here. It simply says that if the world is your oyster, then the whole of Mumbai is your dance floor. We are talking of the paved promenade of Marine Drive or Bandstand  on a Sunday morning (sunrise) , perhaps followed by brunch at nearby Trident or Taj  to make the setting for a perfect day! Nondescript building terraces with sleepy watchman for 'foxtrot at rooftops'  in the evening or empty parking lot at BKC  on a holiday  for 'take all the space you need'  Waltz. The choices are endless...........the trick is to be a little bit creative about it. Also, tangentially ( meaning ' mungerilal ke haseen sapne' type  imagination) .......on your way to work......where traffic is at a standstill, get out of the car ,cha cha for 5 ,drink water and  get in. Better still, if the D.J. Traffic Cop at Sion Junction  armed with new Govt. rule (circular dated ..........)  which clearly states GreenLight + no more road to drive = level II samba routine,  him announcing "Hi everyone , mee Inspector Tambe . Everyone out of the car and follow dance routine II .........1a2 and 1a2, continue  till some  road become available for driving".  Surreal.
this rooftop looks like a good spot ...... :) !
Coming back, once you have a place, a boom-box (or car stereo in certain cases) and the right attitude...............all you need now is a partner. The choice of partner is the most important here..........you need someone who is free in both mind & spirit and fun at  heart ( that too 'bhar bhar ke'). Someone who   is adventurous in nature  and  gives progressive change a chance. Someone who knows  where he/she is and where he/she is going. Last but not the least, the more good looking the better.................remember God easily forgives good looking people, lol!  So does everyone........this is unfair but true. Definition of good looking is someone who is at his or her best. If you are at your best and people around you want to be like you then you are a star!
pink/red umbrella maybe not required,
polka dots only for those who can carry it off!
Coming back again ..........as my instructor would have said,  " As a man you have to figure out and plan everything to perfection , as a woman you will answer unexpected call and  go with the flow , keep it simple".
'Break a Leg' and make it look good people.
Cheers!


After thought: Funny it will be if we land up at the same terrace after outwitting (nondescript) building watchman with Boom boxes of the same make! ........that would be indeed funny.

links for street tango dance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXWBPBfHnh0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnUJjSfwOcA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eTjUVVqUXM&feature=related

4 comments:

  1. I can't believe I haven't come across your blog before... I am absolutely in love with it... With each post I read, things just get awesome-r... I know I sound like a stalker; but I am not... Hope to see more from DRO soon!!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks tabitha, you r too kind! Yes, more nonchalant,extra descriptive & extra potent post will surely follow.........and at the end u might be pulling out your own hair out of reading those.....don't tell me I didn't warn you! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well look closely at the pseudo-minuscule thumbnail of that negligibly sized photograph of mine that you see along side my comments.. Does it look like I have too much hair to lose??? The last time around that I found reason to pull-my-hair-out; I went ahead and shaved off my head.. Was simpler (Note: true story)... So if you see me wid a pic that has my head shaved clean, you can go ahead and blame yourself.. Don't tell me I didn't warn u!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where have thee disappeared? I have waited months and months to see that 'extra potent' post that you promised would make me tear at my own hair.. But alas, that is yet to come. I presume the man's gotten busy in his own world... Whenever you decide to return to writing, drop me a note..

    http://tiptaptoemumbai.blogspot.in/2012/03/indias-first-ever-3d-dance-film-to-be.html

    ReplyDelete